The Event Committee and the web team have compiled the following list of frequently-asked questions for this page. If you have a burning question that we haven’t answered below, please send it to us. We’ll answer it, and then we’ll add it to the list for this page
What is AfterBurn?
A regional gathering sanctioned by the Burning Man Project based on the 10 Principles of Burning Man. You can find more detailed information on the Burnt Oranges website here: https://burntoranges.org/events/about/ Please note that there are no vendors of any kind at the event.
Where is AfterBurn?
2819 Tiger Lake Rd, Lake Wales, FL 33898
When is AfterBurn?
AfterBurn happens on WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 2nd – SUNDAY NOVEMBER 6th, 2022
Who can come to AfterBurn?
Anyone who has bought a ticket online in advance. TICKETS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT THE GATE.
Minors must be accompanied by their legal guardians.
Can I bring children? Are they free?
Radical Inclusion means we WANT you to bring your family! Ticket prices for participants under 18 are :
- 5-11 years old – TBD
- 12 – 17 – TBD
How much are tickets?
Ticket information will be available soon.
How do I get a ticket?
Tickets will be available on the site soon.
Can I get a free ticket if I volunteer?
No. Volunteering does not mean free access. It means being part of building community and helping with growing our culture. No one, including event organizers, build team, and artists (all volunteers) is allowed entrance to the event without purchasing a ticket. There is no paid/compensated staff at AfterBurn with the exception of hired medical staff.
Is camping included with my ticket?
Yes, tent camping is included. RVs must have an RV pass.
Can I leave and re-enter AfterBurn?
NO! IF YOU LEAVE THE EVENT YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED BACK THROUGH THE GATE!
Can I sell my art, crafts, or food?
No. Please refer to the 10 Principles of Burning Man and check out Decommodification and Gifting for more insight into our event culture.
I don’t like camping. Can I stay in a hotel nearby?
AfterBurn is a weekend camping event with a strict NO RE-ENTRY POLICY. If you purchase a ticket, you may choose to come for a short visit, but you won’t be permitted to return if you leave. This is a matter of safety and security for our event.
What is a vehicle pass?
To encourage carpooling, each vehicle must have a vehicle pass, which allows you to park on the property (price TBD). There is absolutely no parking outside the gate.
What is the earliest I can arrive?
Thursday November 3rd, 2022 – Early Entry only – Open 12PM to 10PM with pre-approval only. Early entry will be available only to those participants with prior approval for access; your name MUST BE on the list at Gate.
Friday, November 4th, 2022 – Open: 8AM – 11:59PM.
Saturday, November 5th, 2022 – Open: 9AM – 7PM; Mobile gate opens 3PM – 7PM; all gates close at 7PM for “campfire”. ABSOLUTELY NO ENTRY after 7pm. NO Movement of any vehicles until AFTER effigy ignition, then Exodus only.
Sunday, November 6th, 2022 – Exodus/Exit ONLY
Monday, November 7th, 2022 – Exodus/Exit ONLY; ALL PARTICIPANTS must be off-site by 12PM (NOON)
NO RE-ENTRY AT ANY TIME! IF YOU LEAVE THE EVENT YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED BACK THROUGH THE GATE!
Can I come early to set up?
- For build-related access (art, theme camp, or department), participants may request a Work Access Pass from their team lead.
- Work Access Passes will permit entry on Thursday, April 21 between noon and 10 pm.
- You will be notified if approved for a Work Access Pass.
- If you need to enter on Thursday, your name must be on the Work Access Pass List at the gate. No exceptions.
Can I bring my pet?
Pets are not permitted on the premises.
Can I bring my service animal?
Service animals, as defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA, are permitted, subject to the following rules:
- The animal must be wearing its vest
- The animal must be under the owner’s control at all times
- Animal “Moop” must be packed out. There are no trashcans.
If you are bringing a service animal, please contact the event committee in advance to arrange the details.
Where does my ticket money go?
Our events are official fundraisers for Burnt Oranges Inc, a 501c3 nonprofit whose mission is devoted to cultivating interactive art through artist funding and advocacy, by creating supportive venues for interactive artists and performers, and through public education of interactive art.
If I can’t use my Ticket can I get a refund or transfer my ticket?
There are no refunds on any ticket purchases. Tickets can be transferred to someone else by giving them your pdf ticket. **Tickets may ONLY be exchanged AT/BELOW face value or gifted.
Can I bring my camper/RV to Camp AfterBurn?
Yes, as long as the following requirements are met:
- An RV pass is REQUIRED for your RV or tow-vehicle plus camper prior to the event (in addition to tickets for the participants inside). *There are a limited number of RV passes.
- If you did not purchase an RV parking pass, you will not be allowed to pay for it at the gate and you will be directed to the nearest RV park, which is a 5 minute drive away.
- There is no offsite parking for RVs and no re-entry into the event
- RV/Campers MUST HAVE a carbon monoxide detector, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
- NO FIRES in the RV lot.
- No amplified sound in the RV lot.
Can I plug my Camper / RV in somewhere?
No. There will be no power, water or sewer hook ups provided. Dry camping only.
Can I camp in my car?
If you want to sleep in your vehicle, you’ll be placed in the RV lot. You will need the following:
- A vehicle pass
- A carbon monoxide detector, first aid kit and fire extinguisher, just like the RVs.
Does a vehicle pass let me drive my car around the property?
No, AfterBurn are a pedestrian event. The only time you will be able to drive your car is to drop your stuff off at your campsite, and then it will be parked for the rest of the event in the parking lot. There are exceptions for mutant vehicles and persons with disabilities — please read the DMV policy for more information.
Can I drive my golf cart around the property?
- Only if it is officially registered as a disability or mutant vehicle. Read the DMV policy for all the details.
- A mutant vehicle is a slow-moving mobile piece of art that no longer resembles the original base vehicle. We do not register decorated art cars; they must be mutated.
- Mutant vehicles must register before the event.
Can I bring my sound system?
Every amplified sound system that is larger than a personal stereo must be pre-registered. Please read the Sound Policy for details.
What should I wear?
Anything you please! Just be prepared for weather and environmental conditions. Be aware that some participants opt for full nudity.
Can I go naked?
While nudity is permitted within your camp, we ask that you respect the neighbors by wearing clothing when you are within view of the public road or the lake.
Please keep the 11th Principle of Consent in mind, and remember that nudity does not equal consent.
AfterBurn is an all-ages event, and there will be children at many events and activities.
What should I bring?
- Everything you need to be comfortable.
- PHOTO ID
- A place to sleep (tent, camper, or RV).
- Tent, Camper or RV.
- Food and beverages for the weekend. There are no food vendors, or any vendors whatsoever.
- Coolers packed with ice to keep perishable food cold
- Water – one gallon per person per day
- Reusable cup, plate/bowl, utensils
- Sunscreen & bug repellent/spray
- First-aid kit (including but not limited to: over the counter pain reliever, allergy medication, itch relief cream, band-aids, eye wash (like saline or contact rinse/eye drops, etc.)
- Personal prescription medication (including emergency inhaler and/or epi-pen)
What items are prohibited?
- WEAPONS OF ANY KIND
- ILLICIT SUBSTANCES
What do I do with my trash?
There are no trashcans at AfterBurn — it is a Leave No Trace (LNT) Event. If you pack it IN, you will pack it OUT. To make this easier, we recommend sorting your trash and recyclables, and be sure to bring some sturdy bags that can be closed securely. When you leave, be kind to the neighbors and do not leave your trash in the surrounding community!
Is there WIFI / cell phone service?
Burner culture encourages us to set these devices aside and embrace Immediacy. In addition, we can’t guarantee that you will have cell service; that depends on your provider. There will be NO WIFI provided by the event.
What is typical weather during the event at the event location?
Typically, Lake Wales, Florida has low chance of rain during November, high temperatures in the low ‘80s and lows in the mid ‘60s. You can find more insight to weather for this time here https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-wales-fl/33853/november-weather/337559
Can I reserve a cabin at Afterburn?
Yes, register your theme camp or group for a cabin here: https://floridaafterburn.com/cabins/.
Can I buy food or drink at Afterburn?
No. You should bring all needed food and drink for yourself and anyone who your are responsible for feeding. Please refer to the 10 Principles of Burning Man and check out Radical Self Reliance, Decommodification and Gifting for more insight.
What is a Theme Camp?
It’s an interactive camp designed by the camp members with the intention of engaging participants, Assigned placement for these camps comes after approved advanced registration. For more information visit [https://floridaafterburn.com/theme-camps/]
How do I register my Theme Camp?
You can read about theme camps and find the registration form here : https://floridaafterburn.com/theme-camps/
Are there showers?
Yes, there will be shower facilities available.
Do I have to use a portapotty?
Both conventional and portable toilets will be available throughout the event. There will also be handicapped-accessible portable toilets on the property.
Will the event sell out?
Since there are a limited number of tickets, it is possible that tickets will sell out quickly
What is the theme for this year’s AfterBurn?
This year’s AfterBurn: Martian’s Disco.